Although you may not have your own garden or even be able to see a bit of green outside the nearest window, the relationship between food and landscape still manages to affect your life. In this episode of Cooking Up a Storm, Marja explains the impact and inspiration landscapes have provided, as well as how to create an edible one for yourself through a delicious asparagus salad.
2 Giant Dutch White Aspargus
5 Fresh Morel Mushrooms
3 Purple Baby Artichokes
1 Belgian Endive
Handful of Fiddlehead Ferns
2 Organic Eggs
1/2 cup Light Olive Oil
1 tsp Mustard
1 Lemon to squeeze for juice
1. Wash/Clean & dry all vegetables, except of course the Morels (never wash mushrooms with lots of water, just brush them off)
2. Slice thin and arrange on beautiful plate ready to impress
3. In bowl crack egg yolks (separate egg whites)
Before whisking, make sure all ingredients are the same temperature
4. Add a teaspoon of mustard and squeeze teaspoon lemon juice into egg yolk mix
5. Slowly drizzle in oil while whisking until it become of an emulsifying consistency.
6. Add half cup of oil: 2 eggs: lemon juice 1 teaspoon of mustard
The more whisking you do, the lighter this mayonnaise becomes. This will be delightful to serve with the impressive spread of vegetables. Add a little roasted curry powder to your mayo if you’re so inclined, or a good shot of hot sauce depending on your guest and your fancy.